Just finished my 21 days of the Beachbody Ultimate Reset and its time for a review. This was one of the more eye-opening Beachbody programs I have done. I did not plan on learning so much about nutrition, food, cooking, and supplements through this but I did. When I first heard about the Ultimate Reset I did not know what to think about it. No working out, no coffee, no alcohol, no caffeine, and no to just about everything else I normally eat or do. Beachbody asked me and the other Elite Coaches to do a challenge group on Facebook with Beachbody CEO Carl Daikeler.
Before Starting The Ultimate Reset
After receiving the package in the mail we went through its contents. There were these small packages, pill bottles, and two tube like bottles with funny names on them like Optimize, Mineralize, Alkalinize, Oxygenize, and Revitalize. Went through the quick start guide and watch the dvds. It was well put together and informed us of what we were to expect over the next three weeks. I started to wonder how much weight I might lose and how I was going to feel. I can’t remember the last time I had gone three weeks without caffeine, a beer, or working out. I had been working out 5 days a week for the past 4 years and probably the last time I went three weeks without a drink was before my first drink. I was thinking I might drop 5 – 10 pounds with the Ultimate Reset mainly because I knew I could lose that much. Before starting P90X in 2008 I weighed 165. My start weight with the reset was 189. It felt like I put on about 20 pounds of muscle doing these workouts the past couple years but I wondered how much was fat.
The guide said to start on a Wednesday because there might be times during each phase where you are low on energy and will need the weekend to chill. In the mean time Beachbody asked me to get my blood taken to compare it after finishing.
We also needed to go and do some grocery shopping. I really liked the shopping list they provided because over half of the things we were going to eat I had never heard of before. Had quite an experience at Whole Foods buying these new foods. Did I ever look like an idiot.
Our fridge has never looked so green, lively, and healthy. It would look like this for all 21 days of the Ultimate Reset. And no, I did not drink the beer on the bottom right side of the fridge.
Week 1 Of Ultimate Reset – Reclaim
There was not a whole lot of info as what to expect during the first week besides trying to get your body back on track. You are supposed to have a pinch of Mineralize and 15 drops of Oxygenize in a certain amount of water (22oz for me) along with 2 Optimize capsules three times a day. In mid afternoon you take 1 Alkalinize packet with a pinch of Mineralize.
Days 1 – 2 : The food tasted great and surprisingly kept me full throughout the day even though the portions were about half of what I normal eat. My first experience with Alkalinize in the afternoon was a wake up call. Tasted like drinking sea weed.
Days 3 – 6 : This is when the supplements and food started to kick in. I noticed pain in my lower back and legs. At the end of each day it felt like I had just ran 8 miles. My legs and back were sore and I didn’t do any working out. Carl was telling us the reason why we were feeling this sensation was because the Alkalinize was working through our systems and breaking down any parts of our bodies that had a high acidic level. Essentially our insides were getting a workout which was causing the aches. On a different note I was falling asleep very quickly, was waking up with a new level of focus, and even a little bit more energy.
Day 7 : No more aches and pains. Was rested for the first time in a long time. My body felt like it was finding a new level of health and was starting to crave the new food and supplements.
Week 1 Results – I was shocked when I stepped on the scale and it said I lost 8.5 pounds. I noticed a bit of mental clarity and seemed to be more focused on work and other things.
Week 2 Ultimate Reset – Release
The differences this week were taking the Detox packet three times a day (you still take the other supplements) and eating a vegan meal plan. I had never gone completely vegan before so this was going to be a challenge.
Day 8: From the first time I poured the Detox packet into the water I had a feeling its job was to clean you out. The powder was brownish so all I was thinking was it’s supposed to make you go to the bathroom. It had a little bit of a texture type taste to it and wasn’t so bad. I usually slammed it so you don’t taste that much of it. This was the only day of the week where I spent time in the bathroom. Like 5 times. Felt lighter at the end of the day and continued on with sleeping well.
Day 9: My first real challenge because a friend asked me to go to the Detroit Tigers opening day game. Had to prepare my lunch and snack the night before and take it with me to tailgate. Was weird being the only sober person there but I made it through even getting heckled by my friends.
Day 10 – 14: These were the hardest days of the entire Ultimate Reset for me. The Detox packets were doing their job. Felt like they were getting everything out of my body it could. Was really tired throughout the day and fell asleep around 10pm at night in which 11:30 is the norm. On two separate days I fell asleep for an hour while sitting on my couch. Was hard to focus on work as my body just wanted to sleep. Didn’t really have an appetite for food. The food kept me full but I could tell the Detox packets were doing everything they could to get whatever was not removed from my body in week one out of my body for week 2. Spent a lot of time at home because I didn’t have the energy to go out.
Week 2 Results – Dropped another 4 pounds for a total of 12.5 pounds. My pants were looser. I could see more muscle definition. Didn’t fill as chipper in the morning as week 1. No aches or pains. Was the only time during the entire 21 days where I was thinking about cheating on the meal plan. Some of the meals were a little harder to make. The first week felt like it brought my health up and the second week felt like it balanced the first week out.
Week 3 Ultimate Reset – Restore
I was so glad to be done with the detox week. It really challenged me. No more Detox packets. The only change this week was you took the Revitalize capsule (still take other supplements). This week was supposed to be about adding in more fruits and veggies to put new healthy things in to replace what was removed during the detox week. Onto another vegan week.
Days 15 – 17 : Felt great. Gained some energy back. No naps during the day and fell asleep faster. Pants felt like they were even looser.
Day 18 : Dreaded this day from the start of the Ultimate Reset. The softball team I play on had our first tournament. I was concerned I wouldn’t have the energy and strength needed to play. I was right on both accounts. With me not working out for a month it really felt like I had lost a step or two when running and I lacked the strength needed to swing or throw. My brother even said it looked like I had lost a lot of weight. We played four games that day of which I only played twice in the field with 5 at bats. I stayed strong with the meals and even came back to my house to make lunch. I was so sore at the end of the day and fell asleep early. Last summer I could play all four games in the field and bat. Not so much today. I guess thats why they don’t want you working out during the reset.
Day 19: Woke up feeling sore from the tournament yesterday. Was kind of a good feeling though as it felt like I had a great workout.
Day 20: One of my best days on the Ultimate Reset. Felt healthy, alert, motivated, and focused.
Day 21: Did P90X Yoga X in the morning. I could definitely feel that I was missing a lot of weight around my waist and stomach when doing some of the different poses. Had a double header softball game that night and batted ok but have lost a considerable amount of strength throwing the ball. I’m guessing its a combo of not working out for a month and my elbow injury.
Week 3 Results : Down another 3.5 pounds for a total of 16 pounds lost.
My Beachbody Ultimate Reset Before & After Photos
Beachbody Ultimate Reset Results
- 16 Pounds Lost
- Lost 2 inches off my waist
- Lost 1 inch off my chest
- Right & Left Arm both lost an inch
- Body Fat % went from 15% – 10% for a 5% loss
I wasn’t too happy with my before photos as I’ve never been that heavy in my life. I look like how I felt for the 3 months prior to starting the reset…bloated. I picked up on something else in the photos. Take a look at my right elbow, tricep, and face. See the red spots around my elbow and redness every where else? I know the lighting in my after photo wasn’t as good but it looks like a considerable amount of the redness on my skin is gone. My right elbow is the one thats been giving me problems for the past 5 months and I found out during the Ultimate Reset (finally) its being caused by inflammation. If I look a little tanned in my after photos its because we were in the Bahamas a week after I took my before photo and started the reset two days after getting back. I’m surprised I kept the tan this long since its mid April here in Michigan and its too cold to be walking around with the shirt off. I wonder if its from the supplements and food or if the tan covers it up.
What About Your Blood Work?
Before I started the Ultimate Reset I had to get some blood drawn to see what the reset would do to a couple of tests. At the end of the 21 days I had to get my blood drawn again to check the difference. A week after the reset was done Dr. Bill Wheeler from Beachbody called me up to tell me my numbers. Here is what the blood work said:
- Good Cholesterol (HDL) dropped from 110 to 93. Good
- Bad Cholesterol (LDL) dropped from 61 to 45. Very Good
- Blood Glucose – Measures the amount of sugar in your blood. Dropped from 99 to 86. Normal
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) – Measures the amount of nitrogen in blood that comes from the process of breaking down protein. Normal is 7 to 21. Mine dropped from 13 to 7. Good
- Testosterone went from 465 to 706. Levels range from 270 to 1070
Other Things I Noticed
I thought the Ultimate Reset was just going to be about losing weight. I now think the weight loss was a small percentage of everything the reset does.
- Not Working Out Was Good – I just finished my first round of P90X2 and during the program it did not feel like my body was into it. My results were not impressive. After Day 4 day of the Ultimate Reset my body was saying thank you for not beating it up. I guess with working out 5 days a week, playing double-header softball games twice a week, and putting 300 miles on my mountain bike last summer wore down my body. I was burnt out. The 3 weeks off gave my body a chance to chill.
- I Can Cook – Well, I could cook but now I can cook more things. Instead of spending an hour a day working out and 10 minutes throwing some food together I now focused 40 minutes learning how to prepare new foods.
- I Crave New Foods – Quinoa, Lentils, Kale, and other things were foreign to me before.
- Old Injuries Are Gone – I have been dealing with a bad left knee for 5 years now. A snowboarding accident (Thanks Bigbird Lady!) and a line drive softball hit by my brother on my 29th birthday that hit me while I was standing on 1st base (Thanks Bro!) have made running or any leg workout a little painful. At the end of the 21 days I don’t even notice it anymore. Used to feel it a sometimes when I walked. Not sure if it feels better because of the lack of working out but I have a feeling the Alkalinize supplement had something to do with it. It helps reduce inflammation and I believe thats what it did. My elbow injury subsided too. It used to pop all the time and now it does it every once in a while. I guess it’s not fair to say my injuries are completely gone. I’ll have to update this again when I get back to working out and playing sports. However, I feel these supplements and the food have gone the natural route of healing the problem instead of taking anti-inflammatory pills and masking the problem.
- More Focused & Clear Headed – Got so much more work done in weeks 1 and 3.
- I Chew A Lot Of Gum – The Ultimate Reset guide said you can’t chew gum for the entire 21 days. Reason being is when you chew gum it sends a signal to your brain that you’re about to eat. I chew about 2 sticks of gum a day and another one every time I leave the house. Was weird breaking that habit.
- I Don’t Miss Coffee – I never was really a big fan of coffee in the first place but I got in the habit of having one cup a day over the past 2 years. Sometimes it would give me stomach aches and usually the buzz was too much. I did enjoy having something warm with breakfast and will try other things. Im sure I’ll have coffee in the future but will cut back on it.
- Breathing Easier – I’ve had sinus problems since junior high school so its normal to have to take deep breaths sometimes as I feel like I’m short on air. I did not notice either of those the last two weeks of the reset.
- I Like To Party…Too Much – This is probably the hardest one for me to accept. I don’t have a drinking problem but when the time comes to have a couple of drinks I do have a couple of drinks. I have a pretty good social life and there is always something to do. I don’t sit around my house drinking but when friends are around I will have a couple. We live in a downtown area so we take cabs to not have to deal with driving. It’s not that I didn’t think I could make it through the 3 weeks without having a drink it’s just that its been a long time being at social events not having a couple of drinks. Kind of like how a smoker has to smoke when other people are smoking. Going to the Tigers game, hanging out after softball games, and being around family were a test. What I noticed is that I talked to more people at those events because I didn’t have a drink in my hand. I can’t say if I enjoyed myself more as I was kind of tired due to the detoxing but I did have better conversations with people. I’m not going to stop drinking but this has been a good experience and needed break. Kind of crazy how much better you feel on Saturday or Sunday when you wake up not feeling fuzzy.
Any Good Tips?
- Don’t Do It Alone – If you live with someone than pony up the money and buy two Ultimate Reset kits. It would have been a pain in the butt if Andrea and I were making two separate meals every time we ate.
- Check Tomorrows Meals – There were a couple times where breakfast took 30 minutes to prepare.
- Prepare Meals The Night Before – Make lunches and have tomorrows breakfast items ready to go.
How Much Does The Ultimate Reset Really Cost?
- Week 1 – Whole Foods – $324.86
- Week 2 – Trader Joes & Hollywood Market – $202.02
- Week 3 – Whole Foods – $159.63
- Sushi Restaurant – $73.48
Would You Do Another Ultimate Reset?
Yes. It’s crazy to think how much weight I lost in a short period of time plus how much better I feel. Definitely doing the Ultimate Reset at least once a year. Probably in slow activity months for me like December or January.
Who Could Benefit From Doing The Ultimate Reset?
Everybody. I was healthy and fit before doing it and lost a lot of weight. So if you’re in shape don’t think you can’t benefit from doing it once a year.
Why Do The Ultimate Reset Before P90X Or Insanity?
Too many people (myself included) thought you could just do the workout and get results. Many people get frustrated after the first month (if they even made it that far) if they were not seeing results and would usually quit saying the workout didn’t work. When I would ask them how they did with the meal plan they admitted they never followed it. I was in the same boat when I started. What I’ve come to realize after completing the Ultimate Reset is you are asked to commit to almost 13 hours a week with P90X or Insanity and not the 6 hours your required to do with the workouts. How could this be?
Not only are you being asked to open up 6 hours of time into your schedule for the workouts you’re actually being asked for another 7 hours for cooking and grocery shopping. You might think that you already spend time on the food part anyways so it shouldn’t count. But it does. I probably spent 2 hours at the grocery store buying the things on the week 1 shopping list for the Ultimate Reset. You should have seen me at Whole Foods trying to find things. I had no clue where things were so I was going back and forth around the store. When it was time to cook I had to search for the new things in the fridge as I had no idea what they were, get out all the ingredients, read how to properly prepare them, get out measuring cups, and set timers so I knew when to check the food. It was quite a bit of work. You should have seen the amount of dirty dishes in the sink. But why is this all worth it?
If you think you have 10+ pounds to lose then you probably have more. I lost 16 pounds in the 21 days when I thought I only had 5 to lose. If you’ve already committed 6 hours in your head to working out then you might as well flip that and spend the same six hours focusing 100% on what goes into your body. Don’t go and beat yourself up with P90X or Insanity with a lot of extra weight. The success rate is very low for people who have extra weight because it’s too much too soon. If the end goal is to change your health for the long-term than your better off investing that same 6 hours into learning about what goes into your body and then transitioning to working out. You’ll drop the additional weight, have an understanding of how important the foods are, and be better prepared for the craziness of P90X or Insanity. Remember, its only 21 days.
My Final Thoughts About The Beachbody Ultimate Reset
I never thought I would get so much out of a program like this. I always thought if I ate ok and worked out a lot it would take care of the cheat meals and beers. I guess not. On day 15 I came across another great Tony Horton quote – “You can’t out train a bad diet.” Even with taking Shakeology every day there are still another 3-4 meals a day you need to eat and all that Shakeology really does is provide you with the nutrition you need to get through the day plus some calories to fill you up for awhile. It was doing all of those things for me but the Ultimate Reset showed me how much more I needed to do to live a healthy life moving forward. I’m sure I missed out on a couple of things and I know this Beachbody Ultimate Reset review is very lengthy. I was just trying to tell you as much as I can from the notes I took during the 21 days.
Leave a comment below if you have questions. Feel free to contact me if you’d like to join my challenge groups where I coach you through the entire 21 days. If you are ready to start then head on over to the Beachbody Ultimate Reset page and check out the different packages you can buy.
**I have completed more rounds of the Beachbody Ultimate Reset. Check out round 2.